[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
About Flying.... - Council Of Elders

About Flying....

General chit-chat, non-guild-specific forum.
Avelmi

About Flying....

Post#1 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:22 pm

Maltz

Re: About Flying....

Post#2 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 am

I understand with, and in part, even agree with the basic philosophy - the world *is* smaller when you can fly, BUT... The way they're implementing this is the worst of both worlds.

The terrain in WoD is beautiful and complex... and often VERY difficult to navigate from the ground. In early expansions, there were terrain texture cues that showed you what you could climb and what you couldn't. Subtle differences in the color of the grass or slightly-worn trails hinted at the right way to go when it wasn't otherwise obvious. They kind of moved away from that in later expansions because advances in graphics gave them the ability to make more complex terrain, and since you could fly, such things were less important anyway. So in WoD, there is very little of that, but without flying, finding your way up hills is an exercise in frustration.

Also, if making the world larger is the goal, then putting 7 flight points in a zone works against that purpose. The world still seems small, because you can fly *almost* anywhere, but it's also frustrating because you can't fly to exactly where you want. Not to mention how you never have to search for quest objectives - where to go is highlighted on your map with a big blue area, or even a specific yellow dot. All of that seems to work against their stated exploration goals.

Mind you, I don't want to return to the ways of vanilla (well, completely lol) but it seems like they're kind of floundering in this area, without a clear direction.

I still think, in many aspects of the game, BC was the sweet spot. :)

Avelmi

Post#3 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:20 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about it, to be honest.

Draenor definitely has some massively frustrating areas to traverse. On my characters, when I go after rares or treasures on the map, I sometimes spent 10 to 15 minutes trying to find a way up, or in, or down, or whatever. That's a lot of time spent aggro'ing mobs and falling to my (near) death.

But, I do kinda like not having to buy a flight license again. I'm really tired of the whole "oh, your flying mounts lost their brains -- throw some money at this random NPC to "fix" it." I mean, I know they do it partly as a gold sink, but I kinda don't like sinking gold into this thing.

The problem is that, if they do add flying, something about the expansion will require it. TBC required it for Netherstorm (which was obviously built on the expectation you'd be flying) and the Ogrila dailies. Wrath required it for Storm Peaks and Icecrown (same problem as Netherstorm) and for the Icecrown dailies to access the airship. Cata required it because getting around in the world was a miserable experience without it, and Deepholm seemed to required it in general and for the airship. MoP neeeded it for the Halfhill dailies with the charging rams of doom (thankyouverymuch for the falling death, uh huh uh huh).

It's pretty obvious that they can't make the work meaningful on the ground when flight is an option. Or, maybe, they just don't know how. I'm not sure.

But, I'm on the fence. If they add it, I'll begrudgingly pay the fee to fly at 310% rather than ride at 100%.

One thing I would like -- faster ground mounts. :) I bet they can't really do that either. Rift has 165% ground mounts (no flying there) and they had so many geography problems they actually took out falling damage. You could literally DIE on flat ground because your ground mount would hit a pebble, fly through the air, and then you'd die. :P

Maltz

Post#4 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:40 am

Avelmi

Post#5 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:27 pm

Yes, the mounts in Rift are really strange. When I run to the porticulum and hit the platform, I can sail way past the porticulum master, like I have a rocket taped to my mount's behind. :P Funny stuff.