WoW Tokens

General chit-chat, non-guild-specific forum.
Avelmi

WoW Tokens

Post#1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:14 pm

Here's the latest information on the WoW tokens: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/183905 ... -3-23-2015

Edited to add: I cannot find it now, but there was some mention that you can reactivate a frozen account without buying a subscription. Supposedly, there'll be a button on the character screen that will allow you to buy game time with the gold you have on your account. I cannot find that information at the moment, so don't hold me to that. :D

For those who cannot visit that site from work, this is the text of that announcement.

The recently announced WoW Token is currently in testing on the PTR, and is slated for launch some time after the March 24 release of Patch 6.1.2. In the meantime, we wanted to share some additional details about the Token, including regional pricing information and more on our global rollout plans.

WoW Token Rollout
We’ll begin rolling out the WoW Token in the weeks following Patch 6.1.2’s release, starting with the Americas game region (including realms serving North America, Oceania, and Latin America) and then expanding to other game regions in the weeks after that. Launching the Token once Patch 6.1.2 has been live for a while will help us ensure the foundation for the feature is solid, and kicking things off with a single region is the best way for us to ensure everything’s going smoothly before launching worldwide. We’ll provide further updates on timing as we get closer to the Token’s launch in each region.

Region-wide Exchange
As discussed in our original announcement, each game region (Americas, Europe, Korea, Taiwan, and China) will have its own shared WoW Token exchange. When the rollout begins in the Americas game region, players in North America, Latin America, and Oceania will all be able to purchase a WoW Token from the in-game Shop. In the Americas game region, the price of a Token will be $20 USD (or roughly equivalent in each local currency). We’ll share additional regional pricing details as we get closer to launch.

Once purchased, a Token can then be put up for sale in a region-wide exchange via a new Game Time tab in the Auction House. (Note that while you’ll see the new Game Time tab in that auction house with the launch of Patch 6.1.2, it won’t be active until the WoW Token launches in your region.) While the rest of the Auction House will remain realm-based, a region-wide WoW Token exchange will provide the largest possible pool of prospective buyers and ensures everyone has access to a vibrant, active Token marketplace. In the Americas, Europe, Korea, and Taiwan, players who purchase a WoW Token from the Auction House will be able to redeem it for 30 days of game time.

Going for Gold
Because the Token exchange has to start somewhere, we will be setting the initial gold value of the WoW Token ourselves. The starting gold value in each region will be based on several factors, including regional in-game economies, but ultimately our goal is to select a fair and reasonable starting price. After that, the Token’s gold value will be determined dynamically based primarily on player supply and demand. Simply put, if more WoW Tokens are being listed than are being purchased, the price will automatically drift downward over time. If people are purchasing Tokens from the Auction House faster than they’re being put up for sale, then prices will go up accordingly. As a reminder, to help make sure players can trade WoW Tokens confidently, once a Token sells, the seller will receive the amount of gold they were quoted at the time they listed their Token.

We know a lot of you are excited to exchange a WoW Token or two, and we’re looking forward to making the feature available in the near future. We’ll provide additional updates on the rollout of the WoW Token feature soon.

Mallaek

Re: WoW Tokens

Post#2 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:42 pm

I was reading the patch notes this morning Taree...

I think the only way you can buy it with gold is if someone sells game time from their subscription on the AH in game. I don't think this is a Xgold = Ygametime from Blizzard scenario.

Did you have to let your game time lapse? :(
Image Image Image

Avelmi

Post#3 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:24 pm

Oops, yes, you can't buy the tokens unless a player buys one to sell. ;)

I use game cards, so I have like 22 days left (or something like that). I'm not sure if I'll take a break or not. It'll depend on if we all start raiding again, or if patch 6.2 drops with new content.

I am enjoying going on a mogging spree!! Taree has 5 sets, Avelmi has 3, and my druid almost has 2. On to my paladin and warlock! :D

Maltz

Post#4 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:06 am

So, if I'm understanding this right...

A) You can now effectively buy gold with $'s by buying a token then selling it on the AH.

B) You can buy game time with gold by buying a token that someone is selling on the AH.

This is interesting. I wonder what the gold value of the tokens will end up being.

Avelmi

Post#5 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:57 pm

Folks are speculating that the gold price of tokens placed on the AH will be in the 20k-30k range. Which, prices me out! lol I kinda wonder how it'll treat the economy.

Maltz

Post#6 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:46 pm

I'm surprised at how heavily this is being touted as a way to buy game time with gold, when the equally big news (maybe bigger) is that you can buy gold with RL money. That said, I don't think it will have a large impact on the economy. You're not creating "new" gold with RL money. You're really just buying other players' gold. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a really clever solution to a couple of problems - people who have more (farming) time than money and people who have more money than time can almost directly trade one for the other, without impacting other players significantly, or possibly at all.

Officer
Jetcircus

Post#7 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Avelmi wrote:Oops, yes, you can't buy the tokens unless a player buys one to sell. ;)

I use game cards, so I have like 22 days left (or something like that). I'm not sure if I'll take a break or not. It'll depend on if we all start raiding again, or if patch 6.2 drops with new content.

I am enjoying going on a mogging spree!! Taree has 5 sets, Avelmi has 3, and my druid almost has 2. On to my paladin and warlock! :D

You will not take a break. You will PVP cuz this is RL. RTR.

Avelmi

Post#8 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:30 pm

Maltz wrote:I'm surprised at how heavily this is being touted as a way to buy game time with gold, when the equally big news (maybe bigger) is that you can buy gold with RL money. That said, I don't think it will have a large impact on the economy. You're not creating "new" gold with RL money. You're really just buying other players' gold. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a really clever solution to a couple of problems - people who have more (farming) time than money and people who have more money than time can almost directly trade one for the other, without impacting other players significantly, or possibly at all.

Well, one of the things I read, but had not considered, is this scenario:

You have someone sitting on a metric butt-ton of gold. They aren't spending it, just holding it. Along comes little ole' broke-as-a-joke me and I sell this guy a token. Now, 30k of his unused gold becomes mine, and I have no self-control so I go on a mogging spree and spend. The gold that was previously sitting is in action. Multiply that by 1000. Does it have the power to cause inflation? I'm not sure anyone can truly answer that, until we see it happening.

And it's going to be seriously tempting to buy one to sell because of how much everything costs. I mean, I use little 40g gems because 1200g for a single gem goes beyond my sense of "worth it at the level I play", even though I am right now sitting on 26k gold on Taree alone.

It'll be an interesting experiment.

Jetcircus wrote:You will not take a break. You will PVP cuz this is RL. RTR.

Ahem. WAR EAGLE, YO. :D You poor, strange and confused man.

Maltz

Post#9 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:03 pm

I'm skeptical that the typical gold hoarder is going to abandon one of their core game goals for a free month of service. I wouldn't stop tanking just to be able to play for free. It would kind of defeat the purpose. :)

Maltz

Post#10 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Also, Woo Pig Sooie. :P